Ayurveda is not merely about medicine but about the way of living. Ayurveda daily routine and life-style is probably the only method to prevent such diseases. I have noted some of the very important advises that are relevant in case of swine flu and are noted keeping present life style in mind. Here are those, I hope these will be useful -
- Take Chyawanprash daily. Role of Chyawanprash in improving resistance power is generally well known in India. I myself experimented with it extensively and telling you based on my own experience. I feel that Chyawanprash is nothing less than miracle.
- Practice Anulom-Vilom Pranayam for minimum 5 minutes a day. This is a yogic method to improve resistance power. Though not directly related to Ayurveda, but pretty useful in present situation.
- Sleep latest by 11:00 PM and avoid staying up late. A time after 11:00 PM is known as kapha period and body immune system is not that powerful to fight infectious disease after this time.
- Avoid over exertion.
- Try to move around the place of work instead of sitting in one place or do some kind of physical work. This will help you to refresh yourself, especially when you feel dull & lethargic. The idea is to avoid exertion, as one can be infected only at a time when body lacks the power.
- Do not delay or skip your meals, meals should be taken at regular timings and in fixed quantities.
- Always have fresh food and avoid stale food. Ghee is preferred over oil for food preparation. Ghee has divine healing power and oil can not be a replacement of Ghee. If possible, use Cow Ghee.
- Daily use of Honey, Ginger (Adarakh) and Basil (Tulasi) helps controlling excessive kapha. This is good for controlling Kapha, but I don't think that it has any significant impact on improving resistance power. I would give priority to Haldi Milk and Chaywawanprash.
- Take one cup milk with one tea-spoon full of Haldi. This is also good way to increase digestive fire which is required to fight against such diseases. Again I myself have seen miraculous power of this medicine in similar situation and highly recommend it.
- Avoid refrigerated, microwaved, re-warmed, stale food, etc. Food should be taken immediately after cooking.
These are some simple but very effective suggestions. I strongly advocate them.